Oops. The Napavore has been otherwise engaged lately–and by that I mean she has been fully buried in work or recuperation from work and has had no time to blog her Napa Valley adventures. (And this is where I nix the third person speak.) Let me see if I can remember some of the latest and greatest:
- The last Cheers! St. Helena of the season was fun, as always. I almost decided not to go (such a harrowing day at work and all) but caved at the last moment, and I don’t regret it. Plus, I can now say that I attended every single event this summer. And they were all such fun!
- The next day Patz & Hall had their fall release party in Sonoma. I’ve recently become a fan of pinot noir (why so recent, I don’t know) and have been tasting the varietal here and there, trying to get a bead on both my own tastes and on just plain, old good pinot. I know, I could take a class, but this is much more fun! (I do plan to take a class, though–or pose the right questions to the right people. If one is to be educated, she may as well be educated correctly.) Anyway, I had planned to meet some friends at the Patz & Hall shindig, but they never showed. I floated between tasting stations and the cheese display until I ran into a couple of acquaintances. In the end, I walked away with a 2007 Jenkins Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. All in all: good times.
- One evening last week I met my friend Camille for dinner at Azzurro. We caught up over salads, pizza and bruschetta. Camille ordered the apple crisp for dessert, and though I love apple crisp (or pie) nearly more than life itself, I declined a taste until she grew wide-eyed at the taste of the Straus ice cream dolloped seductively on top. Reader, I demurred–and have born no regret since.
- Another friend, Robin, and I have been to Oxbow Wine Merchant countless times these last few weeks. Why? Fish tacos, salmon BLTs, soup, grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh yes, and wine. What a great place, really. Perfect bar to perch around; great deck to discuss things on. If you haven’t been, go. Do. Eat. Drink.
- There was a catered birthday party at the St. Helena Fire Station, a wedding in Santa Cruz (I caught the bouquet and can’t remember if this is the fourth or fifth time–ah the hazards of being tall), a photo shoot with Megan Reeves, and then the mundane things–things like re-sealing the deck, commuting to work and shopping for groceries.
- Next weekend: Harvest (if the rain doesn’t spoil the grapes) and a harvest party. Perfect and rustic, with good people and good wine, just like you’d want a harvest party to be.